Thursday, July 06, 2006

A canary in a coal-mine coughs

Faithful readers of this blog know that I fear for the country I love because I see it descending into fascism. If you haven’t already read the article I referenced in Top 10 Signs of the Impending U.S. Police State, I encourage you to do so now.

Today, I find further evidence of this disturbing trend. Glenn Greewald writes about how “the thug and intimidation tactics of the Far Right go mainstream.” He tells of a disturbing, albeit Constitutionally protected, practice of publishing home addresses of people who offend the likes of Michelle Malkin. They are labeled “traitors” and the reader is encouraged sub rosa to commit acts of violence against them.

Greenwald recounts a story that I first saw on Crooks and Liars under the headline, The Stop the ACLU Coalition publishes Jewish family’s personal information: They are forced to move.

The tough-guy bullying of opponents is one hallmark of fascism. Embracing anti-Semitism is another.

“… and tell ’em Big Mitch sent ya!”

No comments: