Saturday, January 14, 2006

Welcome to the crack house, Elizabeth Holtzman.

My friends think that I am either crazy or dreaming that George Bush is going to be impeached. Of course, I could be both. In fact, I may be crazy, I may be dreaming, and my dream of impeachment may come true. As I reported, it has been suggested that I must be smoking crack to believe that. (See, comments to "Treason, Bribery, High Crimes and Misdemeanors".)

I realize that impeachment is a political question, but you can't even ask the political question, unless there is a legal basis for impeachment. Enter Elizabeth Holtzman.

Readers of a certain age will remember Elizabeth Holtzman as a congresswoman who played a key role during the Nixon impeachment. During the impeachment of President Clinton, she testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee on behalf of the White House and reminded the committee of the abuses of power that brought down Nixon. Now she has published a legal brief in the The Nation in which she makes a compelling case that George Bush must be removed from office.

You know, with the Congressional Research Service, Professor Laurence Tribe and thirteen other legal scholars including a former Chief Judge who just happened to have been the Director of the FBI, as well as the Editors of Barron's Magazine we could have a hell of a party in here.

“… and tell ’em Big Mitch sent ya!”

No comments: